Saturday, January 10, 2009

I0110-Institutes and Joel Olsteen and ilk


Mike sent in the following application:


What would Calvin say about, what the reformers were teaching from scripture versus today's American "SUPER STAR PREACHERS" -
Joel Olsteen, Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Copeland, Paula White, Frederick Price, Miles Monroe, TBN Network ect.......

I believe one response would be "this is the most surest and trustworthy mark to distinguish it from lying doctrines, which readily present themselfs, are recieved with attentive ears by all, and are listened to by an applauding world."(Battles page 28) click here for context

But I would also think that applies in different degrees in any church and even in a believer's own personal life. There are wheat among the tares in our churches and I believe there are wheat among the tares in my own life, but all true believers have this promise, He will prune us so we can bear more fruit to and for Him.

I found this encouraging when false teachers assault the true church (which we should expect) Calvin had this to say. " What were the apostles to do here? Ought they not to have dissembled for a time, or, rather, laid aside that gospel and deserted it because they saw that it was the seedbed of so many quarrels, the source of so many dangers, the occasion of so many scandals? Yet in tribulations of this sort they were helped by the thought that Christ is "a rock of offense, a stone of stumbling" (Battles page 29) click here for context

Lets keep seeking and proclaiming the truth of Jesus even if all the world were to hate us and those that hate us would go so far as to call themselves followers of Christ.

Shalom,
Mike

3 comments:

Scott said...

The first time I read the Institutes of the Christian Religion I was astounded at how relevant this book was and the exposition of scripture and doctrine within it were to my own present situations. For example: Calvin addressed for me thoroughly the rampant teaching of self-esteemisms, psychological seductions, evolution, creation, low views of God that seemed to me at that time to be every prevalent amongst the professing Christians. Teachings that robbed God of his Glory and the believer of his comfort and hope. Love the application, Mike.

R.M.O.L said...

Thanks Scott, I only gots a GED,J/K This makes a little more sense. I really do have a GED but hey........

But I would also think that applies in different degrees in any church and even in a believers own personal life. There are tares among the wheat in our churches and I believe there are tares among the wheat in my own life,but all true believers have this promise active in there lives- He will prune us so we can bare more fruit to Him and for Him.

Josh said...

I also think this is very relevant. Calvin doesn't seem to be wasting any words here, and I am still amazed at how much things have not changed in the last five hundred years.