1. Rom 6:2 We are dead to sin, to sin is a contradiction of our profession.
2. Rom 6:3 Baptized into his death so it is necessary to conform to Christ's death.
3. Rom 6:9-10 Buried with him It is necessary also to conform unto Christ's RESURRECTION
4. Rom 6:14 we have new covenant promises, effectual and mighty, shall we sin against such love and grace.
5. Rom 6:15 to think we have license with such promises of encouragment is to "suck poison from them."
6. Rom 6:16 Our state is known by that to which we yield obedience.
7. THE CHANGE CAME ABOUT BY CONVERSION:
Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
The gospel is the great rule both of truth and holiness.
The gospel is a doctrine not only to be believed, but to be obeyed and that from the heart, which denotes the sincerity and reality of that obedience; not in profession only but in power
To be a Christian indeed is to be transformed into the likeness and similitude of the gospel.
Matthew Henry, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, Vol VI, McDonald Publishing, P. 404.