Thursday, January 14, 2010

Geneva Bible - Genesis Chapter Five

Reading Through the Geneva Bible in One Year - click here for intro. In which I post from It's Notes a few of those which I marked of particular interest with sporadic comments.

Genesis Chap 5
Gen 5:2 - Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name (b) Adam, in the day when they were created.

(b) By giving them both one name, he notes the inseparable conjunction of man and wife.

This first note makes me think, "what do they mean inseparable conjunction of man and wife." I like it. But I have to stop and think about it, is the Note correct in really why they both were called "ADAM." I know in Hebrew the word means "MAN" sometimes as in "mankind." Reminds me of the previous note concerning "ish=man" and "ishah=woman." And isn't it neat how that's not so different from our English equivalents.

Gen 5:6 - And (d) Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:

(d) He proves Adam's generation by those who came from Seth, to show the true Church, and also what care God had over the same from the beginning, in that he continued his graces toward it by a continual succession.

This is similar to what I'm seeing in other notes. Kind of an attention to the BIG PICTURE. "to show the true Church..." There is a continuous regard to Christ and His Church reoccurring throughout the notes.

Gen 5:24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for (g) God took him.

(g) To show that there was a better life prepared and to be a testimony of the immortality of souls and bodies. To inquire where he went is mere curiosity.

Here I did not think before that I should learn even from this verse "To show there was a better life prepared." I certainly believe it, but never had I previously considered of exactly that as I read the verse. Good feature of the notes to make me stop and think.

No comments: