Sunday, March 28, 2010

Romans - Chapter Six - The Holy Spirit

AGENT OF SANCTIFICATION:

AS WE LOOK INTO CHAPTER SIX let us not forget that the agent of our sanctification is the Holy Spirit of God. We do not sanctify ourselves. We must run, we must put off, we must strive, we must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, we must fight, but all that through the working of the Holy Spirit of God who works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

KJV Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

KJV Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Sanctification is not the work of outward restraint or exercise of sheer will power. I think as a young man how my habit of cursing had taken firm hold upon me so that every third word I uttered was a curse-word-adjective. The habit had become so strong and so deep, I could scarce restrain myself even in the presence of my own Father, for whom upon hearing such language from me was very painful. His presence could provide much outward restraint. And even if restrain me he might, he could not change my heart which continued cursing even when my mouth held back. But thanks be to GOD HE changes the heart, HE renews the inner man. In him all things become new.

AS we continue looking at Romans Chapter Six - Remember that the Holy Spirit of God is the effective agent in Sanctification.

No comments: