Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Romans Seven - Believer or UNbeliever

Q. Who is the man described in Romans Seven? Is this the experience of an unbeliever or a believer?

A. A Believer for the following reasons:
-The use of the personal pronoun “I” even emphatically in verse 25 “I myself.”

-The moving from past tense indicating Paul prior to conversion and present tense indicating Paul now, the believer.

-Though some things are so dark we wonder how this could be a believer, yet others can be said of none but the believer.

See v 14 “Carnal, sold under sin” and v 22 “delight in the law of God” and v 25 “with the mind I myself serve the law of God,” There is a law “in my members, warring against the law of my mind.”

-Context of Romans Seven within the book of Romans. See “the connection to what came before” above. Romans Seven showing the nature of sanctification further explained. Sin though broken from the reigning power yet remains and is not fully eradicated. There remains the harasser - and we are at war with sin.

No comments: